Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Feast of William Tyndale and Miles Cloverfield, 16th c translators of the Bible into English



In the tender compassion of our God the dawn from on high shall break upon us

The Benedictus 

I had noticed that there were saints mentioned in the Forward that were not in my Lesser Feats and Fasts so I set out to get a new edition. Turns out they have greatly expanded it and changed its name to Holy Women, Holy Men: Celebrating the Saints.  I miss the old name though it was misleading since it Did contain the propers for major saints as well as minor ones... Today used to be just the feast of William Tyndale  but they've added Miles Coverfield as well. I was inwardly scoffing a bit at the new name - seemed somewhat PC until I remembered an incident at mass last year I think it was. The bio of the saint we were celebrating  said he had 17 children and yet the name of his wife was entirely missing!  And it was a person within historical memory, not like someone whose history was lost in the mists of time! It was a Thursday morning, so looser than most celebrations and so I was able to remark upon the glaring omission. Wish I remembered who that guy was - we'll come across him eventually. And my great hope is that someone may have noticed the oversight and corrected it! Sheesh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment