Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Thursday, December 12, 2013

With John on Patmos on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe

                                                                                     Psalm 37:3
   Put your 
   trust 
   in the 
   Lord 
   & do 
   good; 
   dwell 
   in the 
   land  &
   feed on 
   its riches. 
My friends Don and Barbara have just gotten back from a  cruise which included going ashore on the Isle of Patmos where John was imprisoned. I twas here that he  wrote the Book of Revelation which has proven to be a blessing and a puzzle and something of a curse for the Church , to my mind. We read it in Advent and I have always loved the passage where he says to one of the seven Church's: this I have against you- you’re doing all the right things but you have abandoned the love you first had. Tantamount to God coming to look for us in the cool of the evening only to find us hiding among the trees...  The psalter being the hymnbook of the Jews,  I can imagine John sitting alone and in exile,  reading these same words and taking comfort from them. They bought this icon of John the Divine for me on Patmos and gave it to me last night so this morning, John is my companion as I again set out on my journey to who knows where, but surely to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment