Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Monday, September 29, 2014

Second Vespers of St Michael and the Gang

 YE Holy Angels Bright 
I suppose that the truth,
the bottom line, as they say,  
is that I do not trust
paste angels,
pale emanations of 
“the (amorphous) divine,”
sweet ideas with 
golden edging:
the universe,
somehow, wishing me well. 
They are too …floaty for me.
these free agents 
that waft in at no cost 
and, with gossamer thoughts, 
bind me ever more tightly
to my self. 

No. Give me bold colors for angels;
the red of new blood and fire,
green of spring leaves or spruce, 
the changing colors of the sea.
And gold. And yes, gold,
but flashing, blinding gold
of the living God 
come not to whisper 
sweet nothing in mortal ears, 
but to command,
to impregnate, empower.
These come from God’s bright throne
bearing burning coals.
These come with terrifying might
        “Fear not!” the say.,
-such irony - 
and set me free, 

Louise Buck @
19 July 1998


No comments:

Post a Comment