Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Tuesday, June 11, 2019, Barnabas the Apostle

  __________Today’s Antiphon on Psalm 67_
  Let your ways be known upon earth 
                   O Lord; your saving health
                                    among all nations.


"Jospeh, 
a Levite 
born in 
Cyprus” 
called Barnabas, which is actually a nickname. (I’ve always loved that he is known by his nickname /pet name, since they are so filled with affect-ion. I love my collection:  Louisa, Weetah, Luca, Weez, Wee, Whimsey, Pip, each bestowed by someone who loved me and whom I loved with all my heart. Barnabas means “son of encourage-ment” which has always sounded kind of wifty to me until I read a snippet that said that en-
couragement means en-courage-ment, engender-ing courage. And boy, do we need that! (I hereby nominate him as the patron saint of Congress - whichever side you’re on!)  I was also especially struck this year that when Paul refused to take John Mark with him on his missionary journey because JM had crapped out on him the  first time, off Barnabas = went off with John Mark , doubling the number of those evangelized  Now that’s encouragement!  (So much for second chances, eh Paul?) The Bible is wonderfully peopled with folks who are eminently human and who fail miserably, and tell of it!  They were a grand mélange of good and bad and we can take  comfort - and encourage-ment - from both their successes and their failures. 
                   Happy St Barnabas Day!

                                    *
               https://youtu.be/jPsxqQsnzJA

No comments:

Post a Comment