Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Monday





as in Adam 
all die, 
so also in Christ shall all be made alive. Alleluia. 

                                    Pascha  nostrum
I LOVE this graphic and the one I used on Easter morning  but I’ve really been struck this year by how unSHAZAM the Resurrection is. Nobody saw it - it wasn’t even as dramatic as the Transfiguration. Suddenly, Jesus is alive, though still bearing the marks of His Passion. The scars are not left behind.  In our Memorial Acclamation we say not Christ WAS raised, but Christ IS raised: "Christ has died, Christ IS risen, Christ will come again.”  It is in this eternally present moment that Christ is raised. But it’s all pretty quiet, even plebeian. Mary doesn’t recognize Him until He speaks her name. The Easter even story is Jesus appearing and saying “Peace be with you... As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” The alternative reading is Jesus appearing on the road to Emmaus, a story I dearly love. “While they were walking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them.” Nothing shazam  there - they didn’t even recognize until “the breaking of the bread” and then he was gone! And throughout the 50 days of Easter, it’s more of the same - Jesus appearing to reassure, to admonish, to feed, to invite the disciples into the Resurrection life.”As my Father ha sent me so I have sent you.” And so I think I will keep my lenten focus for this Eastertide, which has been the collect for the Transfiguration. which was, after all, a foretaste of the Resurrection, and continue to pray that I may "be strengthened and changed, into his likeness from glory to glory"  but now not strengthened to carry the cross, but to live into the Resurrection life. For however quietly, rising from the dead, He made the whole creation new. A whispered Shazam. 



 Thanks Bill. I now know that Billy Batson said SHAZAM and turned into CAPTAIN MARVEL. I don't remember Captain Marvel l but I sure remember Shaam! 

No comments:

Post a Comment