Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

John Mason Neal, priest (1866) and Catherine Winkworth (1878), hymn writers

                                                         Psalm 121:1,2
I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where is my help to come? My help comes form the Lord, 
the make of heaven and earth. 

Let's hear it for hymns!  
Neal translated the words of  “Christ is made the sure foundation“ (and if that doesn't start singing itself in your head, you are not a cradle Episcopalian: do yourself a favor and Google it!  -  I did,  just to bask in it again, and saw a You Tube of the old Pope and the old Archbishop of Canterbury at a service together.) And   “If thou but trust in God to guide thee.”  was translated by Winkwort.h.

I'm with St Augustine who said "She who sings, prays twice." although I just may have changed his pronoun.... 

The Lutheran New Book…  suggests prayers today for, among other things, those who revise and translate hymns that new ages may sing old songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment