Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Tuesday, September 11, 2018*

                 ______________Psalm 45:1a _




My 
heart 
is stir-
ring 
with a
noble song, 
let me  recite what 
I have fashioned for the king
* Henry Thacker Burleigh, 1866–1945
 American composer, singer & arranger. The grandson of a slave who was blinded by a beating, Henry helped preserve and make available "the musical & spiritual riches of the American Negro spiritual." 

 Let that spirit of love which spurred him draw us also to join hands throughout the earth in Christ's one great fellowship of love -Collect

 The collect led me to the hymnal where I discovered that the hymn “In Christ There Is no East of West,” an Afro-American spiritual adapted  and harmonized” by  our friend. These 
are the words that appear in the 1940 hymnal 
and which I grew up singing. I  especially love 
the juxtaposition of the first lines of the first 
and  last stanzas. 

  In Christ there is no east or west, 
in him no south or north, 
but one great fellowship of love  
throughout the whole wide earth. 
In him shall true hearts everywhere 
their high communion find 
his service is the golden cord 
close-binding all mankind. 

Join hands, then, brothers of the faith,           
 whate're your race may be 
 who serves my Father as his son 
is sure surely kin to me.

In Christ now meet both east and west,
in him meet south and north, 
All Christly souls are one in him   
  throughout the whole wide earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment