Tieoplo Sky

Tieoplo Sky
Tiepolo Clouds

Friday, May 31, 2019

May 31, 2019 The Feast of the Visitation

                                    _Ecclesiasticus 6:14_
          
            Faithful 
            friends 
            are a 
            sturdy 
            shelter: 
            whoever 
            finds one 
            has found 
            a treasure.

The basic story is found in Luke 1:26-35.  Mary, newly pregnant with Jesus, had been told by Gabriel that her cousin, Elizabeth, heretofore barren, is 6 months pregnant. “Then the angel departed. In those days, she set out and went to a Judaen town in the hill country where she entered the house of… Elizabeth.” And she stayed there with her until 
after John was born. The whole story is just sketched out in the brightest of terms, as in much of Scripture, and the lectionary, largely laid out by men, at least historically, just flatly ignores the main thrust of the story, for me anyway which is that we do not have to make this journey alone.
My quote  was not in the readings for today, which I usually limit myself to. to. But when I am clearly given a quoteI I go with it -I’ve tried arguing before and I might as well save our breath! Plus this morning I don’t have the time. So thank you God for Google, also faithful friends. (Faithful spiritual friendship is  synonymous with sponsorship in AA)  Think about it. Mary is pregnant by an angel, for Pete’s sake, and Elizabeth’s  conception is miraculous  as well, showing that “nothing is impossible to God.”  (v. 37) How wonderful it was for those two to have each other to   talk to about these weird and wonderful things. God does provide and I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment